Home Protection Information
- Always keep doors locked whether you are home or not.
- Know who is at the door before opening it. Insist on seeing an ID from anyone you don't know. Anyone claiming to be soliciting in the Township is required to have a permit from the Township – if they don’t have one, don’t entertain them – call 911.
- If someone comes to your door and asks to use your phone to call for help, offer to make the call instead.
- When you go on vacation, get a house sitter to live in your home while you are away. If this is not possible put timers on your lights and TV, put a temporary hold on your mail and newspapers, and ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Install motion activated flood lights in your yard. This will not only deter criminal activity but adds safety for you and your visitors who may have to go out after dark. Trimming bushes and hedges not only can make it difficult for someone to hide in or behind, but also will provide greater visibility into and out of your home. Install dead bolts on all exterior doors and change the locks/alarm codes after first moving into your home.
For more tips on safety, contact our agency. We would be happy to provide additional tips specific to your situation and we also entertain safety seminars.