UMT Passes New Fireworks Ordinance
On September 14, 2020 the Upper Moreland Township Board of Commissioners passed Ordinance No. 1711, adding Chapter 149 - FIREWORKS to the Township Code. Among other provisions, the new ordinance prohibits the following as they relate to consumer fireworks:
- Use on public or private property without the express permission of the owner
- Use while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or other drug
- Use within 150 feet of any occupied structure
- Use such that the sparks or any portion of the fireworks will land upon the property of another without the owner's express permission
- Use two hours after dusk on the date the person intends to ignite the fireworks
- No permission is granted by Upper Moreland Township for any person to ignite or discharge consumer fireworks on the streets, sidewalks, or any property owned by the Township of Upper Moreland, including all of the Township's parks and public buildings, unless otherwise authorized by a public vote of the Board of Commissioners.
Fines for violations of this ordinance will be no less than $100, and up to $1,000 for each offense.
The full ordinance can be found on the e-codes section of the Upper Moreland Township website. A link to the ordinance is below: