How to keep your packages from being stolen
We have recently received several reports of the theft of Amazon packages from the Royersford and Collegeville sections of Upper Providence Township. Here are a few tips to help us in the investigation and to keep your packages from being stolen.
- Invest in a security camera. The popularity of security cameras is growing, and having video or photographs of the possible suspects is helpful in an investigation. Affordable options for under $40 can be found online, as well as higher tech options such as doorbell cameras that connect to your smartphone.
- Have your packages delivered elsewhere. If it's allowed, have them sent to your office, or to a neighbor you trust who will be home during delivery.
- Work with the shipping carriers. Specify exactly where to leave packages, schedule a delivery window or day, or have packages held at the facility.
- Get your package delivered to a nearby locker. Check if the retailer offers this as an option, and pick up your package at your own convenience.
- Consider a private mailbox. USPS, UPS and other shipping companies offer these options.
Here are the steps to take if your package is stolen:
- Search everywhere. Look behind and under objects, check with neighbors, your apartment office, and previous addresses for your package.
- Locate the tracking number. Pull up the tracking details and ensure the package was indeed delivered, and where the package was left.
- Contact customer service. Reach out to the online retailer and file a report or claim.
- Contact the shipping carrier. They can also work with the retailer directly on the matter.
- File a police report by calling the non-emergency line 610-489-9332.