Domestic Violence/Protection from Abuse

Domestic Violence

If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, please contact the Upper Gwynedd Township Police Department or 911 immediately. Our officers have been trained to deal with both victims and abusers. Officers will assist victims with filling out the necessary forms to receive immediate help.

Additional resources for victims of domestic violence are:

  • Women's Center of Montgomery County- 610-279-1548, 215-853-8060, or the 24 hour hotline 1-800-773-2424
  • Laurel House- 1-800-642-3150
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline- 1-800-799-SAFE

Protection from Abuse Orders 

If you are a victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order For Protection From Domestic Abuse. The remedies offered by the Protection From Abuse (PFA) Act may apply only to family or household members (current or former spouse, person who lives or lived with you as a spouse, parent, child, sibling, family related by blood or marriage), current or former sexual or intimate partner or the other parent of your child.

Abuse is defined by law as:

  • Causing or attempting to cause bodily injury, including sexual assault
  • Placing another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury and/or false imprisonment
  • Physically or sexually abusing children. Sexual or physical abuse of children should be immediately reported to Montgomery County Department of Children and Youth at 610-278-5800 or to the Upper Gwynedd Police Department at 215-699-5861
  • Engaging in any course of conduct that places a person in reasonable fear of injury, including stalking
  • The PFA Order could include any of the following remedies:
  • End of further acts if harassment, threats, abuse or stalking by the abuser
  • Exclusion of the abuser from your residence
  • No contact by the abuser with you, your relatives and/or your children either directly, by phone or in writing
  • Awarding you temporary legal and physical custody of minor children
  • Abuser to turn over weapons used or threatened to be used
  • Abuser to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses resulting from abusive behavior
  • Other relief as determined by the court

 In order to obtain a PFA, it is necessary to go to the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.